WHATCOM WILL HAVE A NEW JAIL – THE CURRENT SYSTEM IS BROKEN; DESTROYS CITIZENS, FAMILIES AND COMMUNITIES
CAN WE ENVISION SOMETHING HUMANE?
Some current facts:
- Whatcom County spends 57% of its budget (general fund) on Law and Justice
- 40% of the jail population have less than 2nd grade education
- 80% of the jail population are incarcerated for non violent offenses
- 2/3 of the jail population have a mental illness.
- There are 90 border guards in Sumas each earning $150,000/year
The County is contemplating a 700 bed facility on 40 acres on the outskirts if Ferndale. The mayor of Ferndale was heard to say “You will never see an inmate”
When private companies offer states/counties/municipalities to buy their prison they demand a 90% occupancy rate.
Our current prison system amounts to modern slavery.