Margaret, Ronna, Naomi, Peter, Bill, Marnell. Gloria, Debbie, Alyce, Marcia
Peter read Lummi prayer
Marnell reported that a group of Chinese youth will be at leopold with singers and dancers starting at 3pm on 1/28 2017. Chinese new year celebration
Bill Moyer one of the authors of solutionary rail will be coming to the villiage books on wed. 2/8/2017 at 7pm. Solutionary rail needs money to fund a feasibility study.
Ronna reported that there is 10 actions in 100 days sponsored by the Women’s March. The first action is to send postcards to reps stating concerns. Ronna gave out postcards to mail to our federal senators and our rep. So they know what we want from them. Do it, and that also means me asap. Some ideas suggested included:
- Support Indigenous inherent rights (vs acquired rights)
- Support Conyers HR 676 – Expanded and improved Medicare for all Act. https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/676
- Support veterans
- Support Immigration and END THE BAN
- Oppose the gag rule placed on science and environmental agancies
BLUE MARBLE MANIFESTO
Peter handed out a revision of his original document. Asks that we read it and he is willing to take feedback. There is no electronic copy on file.
Ronna asked for donations to provide 4 hours of gardening to ready her yard for her return which will be in the next few weeks. She passed around a card form Dianne thanking us all for our support.
William bill l john came to our occupy meeting for the first time. and we were truly honored. Bill is a Lummi elder who speaks the Lummi language and has taught it in whatcom county at several institutions. He said he would try to bring his wife to one of our meetings. We are looking forward to it. He talked to us about the importance to know the difference between inherent rights and acquired rights. His e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
HUMAN RIGHTS FILM FESTIVAL
Gloria handed out bellingham Human Rights film festival leaflet. She gave a very brief summary of each film and they sound wonderful. Thanks Gloria. We discussed which films would be good to have an OCCUPY table – Debbie and Ronna will look into it.
BELLINGHAM PEOPLE’S ASSEMBLY
Margaret attended a second meeting called by Edgar of C2C. She is unable to give much information and will get this together for the next meeting.
Debbie said that 25 percent of the people who signed up for the occupy newsletter at the Women’s March opened it.
Proposal to endorse the work of the WWU blue group in seeking sanctuary city status for bellingham and other actions on behalf of immigrants and marginalized people. We voted to do it. Ronna will send this endorsement on to the Blue Group.
Ronna is outreaching to find a person of Muslim faith to come to occupy and we will ask how we can do for this group. Maybe a hajib demo. Sometime soon.
JAN. 13, 2017
MARGARET, RONNA, NAOMI, PETER, ALYCE, DEBBIE, MARNELL, MARION, MIKE
Beach clean up 10am, semiahmoo park building jan. 16th
Jan. 20th-don’t mourn organize
Dems 8;30-11;30a conference-sat jan. 14 public library
MLK jan. 14th 4 people from occupy going 10am to 2pm
WE THE PEOPLE 2.0
The we the people movie on jan. 6th and jan. 12th were very successful with 45 folks at library and 25 at the leopold.
Ronna will bring a proposal to next meeting that suggests occupy endorse the WWU blue group. A group proposing that Bellingham become a sanctuary city and other proposals in support of immigrant rights.
Suggestion made that a reading group form to study and use this document.
BLUE MARBLE MANIFESTO
Ronna will send out The blue marble manifesto to occupy members.
- Debbie said the party in Tacoma was fun.
- Bellingham is one of the first cities to get into solutionary rail–thanks to debbie.
- Debbie is the organization head in whatcom county.
4, debbie has written an article in this week’s whatcom watch
- Letters to editors on solutionary rail was very welcomed. We need to do a lot of education. Alyce’s George has agreed to write an article—yeah George.
- Alyce is going to take s.r. to the rail way museum in bellingham. There are a lot of rr enthusiasts there; i know from many hours spent there with my grandson.
STANDING ROCK – NoDAPL
- THERE IS STILL A PRESENCE AT STANDING ROCK, AND PROBABLY MORE AFTER THE DUMP’S EXECUTIVE ORDER ON OIL PIPELINES.
BERNIE’S: OUR REVOLUTION
JAN 6, 2017
Margaret, Ronna, Lyn, Peter, Ellen, Debbie, Marcia
A manager of the Leopold Hotel is needed. Call the Leopold if interested.
ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS needs communication from us. Peter says the Core ignores EIS, and doesn’t follow court orders. Please call them, and put some heat on them. An article about this situation can be found in the latest WHATCOM WATCH. http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/
THE BLUE MARBLE MANIFESTO
Peter cautions us about having too much on the agenda before we get a real picture about what to do. Want to remain flexible to be able to protest in March or April. Need a long-term strategy and long range plan. You Tube – Trump on the Couch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_FsbL1Z9Z4
PEOPLE’S SUMMIT there was something about it in at the Occupy meeting last Friday. This is on hold for now since the Women’s March will have “community partners” at tables and will essentially cover much of what we wanted to do. Also, Ronna and Jeremy will be speakers. OCCUPY will have a table at the march. Please volunteer to help.
MONEY LEFTOVER FROM MOVE TO AMEND. What to do with it. Margaret is advised to hang on to it until this local group reconvenes and if that does not happen it can be donated to WAMEND.
We The People 2.0. The turnout at the library was about 45 people. Western Front was covering it there. Will show at the Leopold 1//14. Then MLK conference on 1/14 and then Pickford on March 16.
- Debbie wrote an article about SOLUTIONARY RAIL for the current issue of WHATCOM WATCH. CONGRATS DEBBIE. I so admire people who do this.
- Peter will write an article in the NW CITIZEN ABOUT SOLUTIONARY RAIL. Thanks in advance, Peter. He will have written the article by Feb. 1. 2017.
- The Bellingham Library has 5 copies of SOLUTIONARY RAIL.
- There will be a SOLUTIONARY RAIL reading at Village Books on Wed. the 8th of Feb. It will start at 7PM. Village Books is at 1200 11th St. in Fair Haven.
- Debbie will attend the Kick off in Tacoma and report next week.
350.org bellingham, LofWV, and Transition Whatcom are helping publicize. Press release to Western Front
Introduced a bill into the Washington State Legislature to make it a FELONY to protest in the state of Washington because it might “interrupt commerce”.
- We feel this needs at least a letter to the EDITOR and to Doug http://dougericksen.src.wastateleg.org/contact-me-2/ or O. Box 40442; Olympia, WA 98504-0442
- We also feel that Doug needs a little bannering in front of his office. (does not have local office)
- This is probably sponsored by ALEC
SUGGESTED READING INDIVISIBLE, A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump agenda.
POINT OF PROCESS: There was a Point of Process made when the discussion trailed away from the agenda after a member present suggested not using the term “guys” when referring to a group of people. Agreed that members need to feel safe in this space, calling out Point of Process is useful (reminder) when off topic.
MARCIA read a selection from PROPHETIC THOUGHTS which says that Justice is the Embodiment of Love. Love and Justice go together. “Love is the soul of justice and justice is the embodiment of love”.