NOTES OF EDUCATION WORKING GROUP – JUNE 1, 2012 AT Marcia’s house
The group used “Circle of Voices” approach to speaking and occasionally reverted to “discussion” which usually involves overlapping conversations but was kept to a minimum. The conversation was lively and informative.
Introductions: Jay S., Sandy R., Dianne F., Ronna L., Alyce W. Marcia L. Each of us spoke about how we are involved in making the change we want to see.
Bring in readings/information that will help #OB organize, become more meaningful and begin to attract members back into the movement.
- Sandy – a member of C2C states she read the news every day and reads about other Occupy movements which keep her inspired. She is asked to bring any news that could be helpful to #OB in our current undertaking of keeping the movement alive.
- Dianne – Active in Move On, Whatcom Dems, and A New Way Forward she passed out “How to Frame Yourself: A Framing Memo for Occupy Wall Street” at http://georgelakoff.com/2011/12/11/how-to-frame-yourself-a-framing-memo-for-occupy-wall-street/ also “Words That Don’t Work” at http://georgelakoff.com/2011/12/11/words-that-dont-work/ Then she mentions an important historical read “The quiet Coup” by Simon Johnson at http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/print/2009/05/the-quiet-coup/7364/. She recommends the Baseline Scenario at http://baselinescenario.com/ as a worthwhile regarding financial stuff. Also a Harper’s article by Thomas Geoghegan “Infinite Debt” found in Harpers’ Magazine April 2009. It was not available online but an interview
with him and Amy Goodman is at http://www.democracynow.org/2009/3/24/thomas_geoghegan_on_infinite_debt_how
- Ronna – active in #OB, wewillnotbedivided (WWNBD) recommends reading anything by George Lakoff at www.georgelakoff.com, Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky and keeping up with other Occupy sites throughout America.
- Alyce is active in Whatcom Dems and Health Care for All. She indicates it is getting harder to find Democrats who will get out and work at parades, etc. She recommends watching Inside Job and The Big Lie. She informs the group about a practice called kettling being used in Canada at protests. See following article http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1183346–around-400-people-arrested-as-police-use-kettling-in-latest-montreal-student-protest. She also mentions that pot banging as protest is becoming more prevalent. Drums not necessary – a good sturdy pot will suffice. She also mentions a op-ed piece in the Bellingham Herald related to Citizens United found at http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012/05/26/2535758/initiative-seeks-to-restore-rights.html Finally she mentions John Perkins and his work about the economy and global Imperialism At http://www.johnperkins.org/
- Marcia passed out an article “The Tyranny of Structurelessness” by JO Freeman found at http://www.jofreeman.com/joreen/tyranny.htm . While this is an older article it contains useful information to help get #OB back on a track with structure.
#OB Web Site: Erin has announced she is leaving to teach in Spain. IF no one is available to take over the #OB Web site she plans to take it down at the end of June. Ronna agreed to meet with Erin to see what’s involved and Jay agreed to meet for this initial meeting. He indicates he could help with IT issues.
Restructuring: How would we like #OB to look. The group agreed it is the only group thus far addressing the issues of money in politics, corporate greed and overturning Citizens United. This topic was tabled till the next meeting when it will be a focus. Mentioned was the movie Recount with Kevin Spacey as a must see. (remember we are thinking of using movies to educate the public). Jay mentions that #OB tactics have not been effective and cites the tea Party and the “Right” as having an excellent propaganda effort and the left could look to them for how to get a message out (this is reinforced by George Lakoff). He suggests using Social Media more effectively and that Voter registration would be a good tactic to take up.
- Right to a government the represents the American People
- Right to have a fair tax system
- Dignity of all persons
- Health of the planet
- Health of the group suing creative individuality
- Return to reason
- Listen to/Learn from science
- The public makes the private possible
- Right to work, education, health care, shelter
- Right to a public commons
- Effective government
- Investment in America
- Mutual responsibility
- Living wages for a days work
- Our Government is our friend
- Take Back our Government (from the corporation)
- No privatization of taxes
- The public makes the private possible
- Nobody made it on their own without public Infrastructure
- America is not a business (not liked by group)
- We love America and want to fix it
- Real American Patriots – Rights for all Citizens
- Every Day People Looking Out For Each Other.
- We Are the 99%
- This is What Democracy Looks Like
- Give us back out bill of rights
Meeting adjourned at 3:00 pm
purpose of group
We are studying the book “Radicalizing Learning: Adult Education for a Just World” by Stephen Brookfield and John Holst. The information from this book will serve as a foundation for teaching events we will conduct in the near future. Early on in this group we asked the authors if we could change a statement they made about the “socialist argument for inclusion”. The statement is now “The purpose of Occupy Bellingham is the experimental pursuit of beautiful consequences” When #OB has some financial resources we’d like to put this on T-Shirts for all. Stay tuned!